Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My Review of the New Articulated Kara and a Tip! :)

After waiting several days...my Barbie So In Style Kara and Kianna dolls arrived this Monday. I couldn't find out for sure if the knees were articulated, so I was nervous I had just wasted $18. 

 That's right....articulated knees! (^_^) 

An articulated body dark enough to re-body my Top Model Nikki!

I won't lie...I wish they were pivotal knees like the newer Fashionistas, and I wish they had bust articulation. However, this will keep me from dropping $70 to articulate this particular doll. 
Plus....the little girl that came with this set is SUPER cute! 
(^_^) 


Her helmet is adorable despite being pink!

(=^.^=)

Both dolls came with skates that can convert into shoes with ease.

(The wheels on both pairs of skates really roll!)

Now let's see what is under that hat...

Kianna has Saran hair, but I think it would be much cuter in curls.
I may have to remedy this.

And as suspected Kianna has serious helmet hair...yikes. 
Despite that, I'm still blown away that it is Saran. 

Now, I will showcase the Kara part of the set, however I got way too excited and popped her head off before I got pictures. 
Sorry, for the floating head pictures...heh.


Her promo picture showed hair MUCH better than this.

I like her eyes, but..

...I am not a fan of the "teeth". 
I saw many people quite excited over the "teeth", but I think they look painted on and sorta weird. 
Maybe with a prettier lip color, they would look better? 
This is just my opinion, and if you love her get her and enjoy her. 
I would love to to see Chynadoll re-paint this girl! 
(^_^)

Now, on to Kara's outfit and accessories...

I think the only thing I am keeping are the skates. 
SIS dolls, for me, usually have ridiculously cute clothes. 
But this stuff makes me think of a weird 80's ski trip movie, but instead of skis you get skates and knee/elbow pads. 
Again, maybe I'm just being critical.
If you like it...go for it! (^_^)

And, forgive me for being uninformed, but what is this meant to be?
There aren't any headphones, and I have trouble picturing someone skating around with their music blasting out of an iPhone for everyone to hear. 
Help? lol

So, due to the head transplant that ensued I ran into a neat tip.
 (The above is a picture of a Liv body not the Kara body.)

Athletic/Sports tape! 
(^_^) 
If you have a neck knob that is too small, and you don't want to kill your hands trying to change it out, use athletic/sports tape.

My Top Model Nikki had a large neck hole, and the Kara body had the newer and smaller neck knob.

I discovered that wrapping strips of athletic tape around the large part of the neck knob worked great!
It is also a great alternative to the rubber band technique many of us are familiar with. 
No more loose/bobble head issues! 
(^_~)
So happy that she can pose now! (^_^)


(She doesn't have a name yet, any suggestions?)

She is already charming Remi....

Yes, I FINALLY got my hands on Dynamite Remi!!
Now she is getting her hands on him too...ha! 



 And in other news....I have been re-rooting quite a bit.
Some have been commissions, though I am not actively accepting commissions at this time.
   
Stay tuned for an update on my latest re-roots. 
This blog needs some new entries... ;)
Thank you for following me!
Play on!
-Cat of A Doll Affinity 
(^_^) 





16 comments:

  1. Great post Cat. I agree, Kara's "teeth" look painted on. I prefer the closed mouth look and would paint over them if I purchased her.

    So glad Nikki has new body and thanks for the neck knob tip.

    Courtney is cute. I look forward to seeing what you do with her hair.

    Congratulations on finding Remi!

    dbg

    PS I am going to share a link to this blog as a comment to my Kara and Courtney post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started looking more closely at her "teeth", and I think it is a closed mouth underneath. I may have to erase it just to verify my suspicions.

      I am thinking I'll start on her hair today. The image of her in curls is just too tempting. (^_^)

      Thank you so much for bringing this set to my attention, and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Cool couple! I have also a Remi doll (Back to Brooklyn) and I love him so much!!
    Thank you for the tip about the neck knob, now I'm going to buy a Athletic/Sports tape :) and, for the mistery item, maybe is a Samsung Galaxy S Advance?
    http://www.androiday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Samsung-Galaxy-S-Advance-smartphone.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sergio! I have wanted this Remi for a very long time. He is very hard to find NRFB at a reasonable price. Oddly enough I was able to acquire him complete from Australia. (^_^) I'm happy the athletic tape tip may help you in the future. And it very well may be what the Samsung Galaxy. I'll just go with that! ;)

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for the review. Mine should be arriving any day now. You Nikki looks wonderful with her new body! I'm with you on those teeth. They did a horrible job. I'm still fine with the idea, but not the execution. Love the athlete tape tip. I will see if that works with my Winx dolls. I think the thing is just an iphone. You would be surprised at how many people listen to the music on their phone w/o headphones. My stepdaughter did it recently while we were driving. Threw me off a bit.

    Thanks again for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I was pacing the floor until the UPS truck pulled up yesterday. lol Now I am even more tempted to purchase a second one for the articulation. Thank you for the compliments on Top Model Nikki. I got her recently and just love her confidence. Now she can really be a part of the rest of my doll collection. (^_^) Let me know if the tape works for your Winx dolls. And I can imagine that hearing music like that while driving would certainly throw a person off. Maybe I just don't get out enough to see this up and coming trend. lol

      Thanks for the comment Vanessa!

      Delete
  4. Great post! Wow, I'm so excited that Nikki has a proper body. Am I slightly creeped out by the last shot, as my Nikki and Remi and brother and sister? Yes, but very excited by the Nikki/Kara skin tone news! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danielle! Like I said in the post, what would be ideal (for me) is pivotal knees and the bust joint. But for now I can totally make this body work. And I am super sorry for the creepy factor. lol Since she doesn't have an "official" name just yet...she doesn't know her place. She hasn't met the other fellas yet, so we'll see if she takes to someone else. Thanks for the comment Danielle!! (^_^)

      Delete
  5. Yay, a post!!! Lovely and articulated???! *Mind blown* Must..not...be...tempted! And ick to the teeth. But then again I really don't like open mouth/teeth on dolls. And as for the name, how 'bout Minerva?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Sorry about the non-posting, so much house hunting! Yuck! lol I hate being tempted too. I'm now on the prowl for the AA Hard Rock Barbie from 2007. So expensive! And I have very very few dolls with teeth (most are the Lara head mold). Minerva makes me think of Deftones (the band)...kind of a cool ring to it. I will add it to the name pool. (^_^) Thank you for your comment and the name suggestion!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on getting your new dolls! The teeth "suck" - lol, bad pun intended, nay, deserved for this look. I'm not usually picky about hair, but I *get* you on your comment. The prototype photo hair looked MUCH better. Sigh. Still pretty dolls, especially the little sister. Pity she isn't articulated. Reimi and Nikki look GREAT!

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you D7ana!! (^_^) And I cracked up at your "teeth" comment. I love me a "bad" (totally guilty good) pun. ;) And the little one is killing me with her cuteness! I intended to mention the lack of articulation on Kianna, but at least she has a decent range of motion with her stick stiff limbs. lol Thanks so much for stopping in!!

      Delete
  7. Love this post! My Nikki is waiting for a new body along with a few other dolls. I really didn't want to spend the money for pivital body and I don't like it as much as this one. Will the tape to anything to the rubber in the head? I am alway look for a new methods in my mission to rebody dolls.The knees aren't a big deal for me! I will put her down on my list for 2013!

    I love the sweater and blouse she is wearing also. It is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms.Leo! (^_^) I hate spending 30+ dollars for a pivotal body, so I definitely understand. Plus, I wanted my Nikki to have more curves. I'm so excited to see Nikki and some of your other gals articulated. I just started using the tape, so to my knowledge, no. I have used the tape for Nikki, a Skipper, and a Barbie Basics gal. So far, it has been great. Oh, and the blouse is from the Pivotal Frank Sinatra Barbie, and the sweater/jacket is from a seller on eBay. Thank you again for your great comment!! (^_^)

      Delete
  8. Hello from Spain: Congratulations on getting your new dolls. I like Barbie's sister. Nikki is very pretty in her new body articulable. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Marta! Her little sister is so cute! I just love her! (^_^)

      Delete